Larry H. Krantz is a former federal prosecutor with over thirty years of trial and appellate litigation experience. He litigates white-collar criminal, regulatory, securities and complex commercial matters. He is a Fellow and Regent of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a Director of the Federal Bar Council and a Director (former) of the New York Council of Defense Lawyers.
He has been described in Forbes as “among the most eminent defense lawyers in New York’s criminal bar.” His powerful cross-examination of the government’s star witness at a trial arising out of the Madoff fraud was described in Forbes as “hitting it off the facade of the New York Stock exchange.” He prides himself on representing his clients with tenacity, creativity, compassion and integrity.
In criminal and regulatory matters, Mr. Krantz represents corporate executives and others drawn into investigations conducted by federal and state authorities including: the United States Attorney’s Offices, the District Attorney’s Offices, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), FINRA and various other regulators. Over the past three decades, he has been involved in many of the highest profile white-collar criminal cases and investigations including: the Special Counsel’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 Presidential election; the Madoff fraud (six month trial); “Dieselgate” (the use of “defeat devices” to evade EPA emissions standards); LIBOR manipulation fraud by banks and bankers; Insider Trading at various hedge funds; Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations in Africa and elsewhere; the Enron fraud; and other major accounting, bank and securities frauds.
In civil matters, he regularly represents public and private companies (including financial institutions and insurers), as well as individuals, in the prosecution and defense of complex business disputes including: breach of contract claims, fraud claims, business dissolution disputes, unfair competition actions, and professional malpractice claims.
He also represents individual investors, brokers and brokerage houses in FINRA arbitrations and proceedings concerning alleged broker misconduct.
Mr. Krantz has successfully tried over 25 criminal and civil cases in federal courts, state courts and in arbitration forums. He has also successfully argued over 20 appellate matters.
- Proskauer LLP – Litigation Associate (1980-1982);
- Honorable I. Leo Glasser, United States District Judge, Eastern District New York – Law Clerk (1982-1983);
- United States Attorneys’ Office, Eastern District of New York – Assistant United States Attorney, Criminal Division (1983-1989);
- Brooklyn Law School, Adjunct Instructor of Legal Writing (1985-1988)
- Leventhal, Slade & Krantz – Partner (1990-1997)
- Krantz & Berman LLP (Co-Founding Partner in 1998)
- Brooklyn Law School, JD 1980
- Brooklyn Law Review, Case Comment Editor (1979-1980)
- Dean’s List
- SUNY at Stony Brook (B.A. 1977)
Honors and Activities
- Fellow and Regent of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
- Listed in SuperLawyers from 2009 -2018.
- Director of the New York Council of Defense Lawyers (former), and currently serves as its Luncheon Chair.
- Director of the Federal Bar Council and serves as the Chair of its Committee on Sentencing and Alternatives to Incarceration.
- Member of the Joint Local Rules Committee for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York as well as the Attorney Grievance Committee for the Southern District of New York.
- Master in the Federal Bar Council Inn of Court
- “Mistrial Over Defense Objection: Review Under the Double Jeopardy Clause,” published at 45 Brooklyn Law Review 999 (1979)
- Defending Federal Criminal Cases: Attacking the Government’s Proof (Law Journal Press 2018) – Chapter author
- New York (1981)
- Eastern District of New York (1983)
- Southern District of New York (1993)
- District of Connecticut (1993)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (1989)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit (1993)
- U.S. States Supreme Court (1996).
- Board Member, National Fragile X Foundation
- Member, National Council of Visitors, UC Davis MIND Institute
- Member, Parents Council, Muhlenberg College