Marjorie Berman is an experienced and talented litigator who represents civil litigants in business disputes, employers and employees in employment conflicts, and individuals in white-collar criminal matters. Ms. Berman has successfully prosecuted, defended and settled hundreds of cases in a wide variety of industries.
In addition to her litigation practice, Ms. Berman negotiates severance packages, drafts employment contracts for employers and employees, provides employment counseling and prepares employment manuals and policies. Ms. Berman is also a trained mediator providing mediation services for employment, matrimonial and commercial matters.
Ms. Berman is a Phi Beta Kappa and magna cum laude graduate of Brown University where she was the recipient of the Philo Sherman Bennett Prize in Political Science. Ms. Berman earned her J.D. from Columbia Law School where she was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. While at Columbia, Ms. Berman founded the Columbia Task Force on Gender Bias, served as the President of the Law Womens’ Association and served as an intern in the Law School’s Human Rights Program at The Lawyers’ Collective in Mumbai, India.
Prior to law school, Ms. Berman served as a Personnel Director with Hecht’s – a May Department Stores Division in Washington D.C. Thereafter, she served as an Associate with APCO Associates, a consulting subsidiary of the law firm of Arnold & Porter, organizing and managing national grass-roots campaigns for the recording industry.
Following her graduation from Columbia Law School, Ms. Berman served as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Naomi Reice Buchwald. From 1990 – 1997, Ms. Berman was associated with, and then a Partner of, Leventhal, Slade & Krantz.
Legal Honors and Activities
- Superlawyers, Metro New York, Top 50 Women Lawyers (2014 -2017)
- Superlawyers, Metro New York (2010 – present)
- Member, Supreme Court Appellate Division First Department Disciplinary Committee (Appointed 2015)
- Federal Bar Council Inn of Court: President (2018-2019), Member, Master, Team Manager (2001-2016)
- Federal Bar Council: Secretary (2017 – present); Trustee, Federal Bar Foundation (2006 – 2012)(2014 – 2017); Co-Chair, Winter Meeting 2018; Chair, Law Day Dinner (2016); Board of Editors, Federal Bar Council Quarterly (2008 – present); Coordinator, Affinity Groups (2013 – 2016)
- American Inns of Court: National Awards Committee (2015-2017);
- Second Circuit Committee on Civic Education, Reenactments and Inn of Court Subcommittee (2016 – present)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (2014 – present)
- Chapter Author, Defending Criminal Cases: Attacking the Government’s Proof (Law Journal Press)
- NELA, National Employment Lawyers Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment
- New York State Womens Bar Association ( an organization her great-aunt cofounded in 1922)
Mediation Training and Experience
- Mediator, Eastern District of New York Mediation Panel (2016 -Present)
- Mediator, Southern District of New York Mediation Panel (2011 – Present)
- Mediator, Supreme Court Commercial Division Mediation Panel (2018 – Present)
- Mediator Training : Advanced Commercial Mediation Training (Association of the Bar of the City of New York 2016); Advanced Commercial Mediation Training (New York State Bar Association 2015); Basic Mediation Training (Association of the Bar of the City of New York 2012; Basic Mediation (Southern District New York 2011)
- Board Member, Day One (2016-present)
- Board Member, Childrens Home Intervention Program (2011-2012)
- Brown University – Alumni Interviewer, Womens Launch Pad Mentor
- Secretary and Board Member, Columbia Law School Alumni Association (2009 – present)
- Former President and Board Member, Families with Children from China (2002-2010)
- Lyricist, Director, Performer – Community Theatre
- New York (1990)
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York( 1990)
- District of Columbia (1991)
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit (1994)
- U.S. Supreme Court (2009)